Friday, April 2, 2010

The Low Down from a High Horse


"Our emotions have a vibratory frequency to them. There are only two emotions that a human can experience: fear and love, while all other emotions branch out directly or indirectly from these two emotions. Fear has a long and slow frequency vibration to it while love has a very rapid and high frequency." -Erykah Badu, "Love" from her new amazing album, Return of the Ankh, pt 2.

You know, that shit just blew my mind. When I had the kids in New Orleans, we went to a play and there was this piece of art that you could put your hand on sculpture that is supposed to pick up your human energy and project it across Washington Square Park. Granted, it didn't work, but it said your hands had to be dry, and your palm had to be in just the right spot, and the Cosmos had to align on the fortieth day in the sixteenth hour, or something, but still. Dig the thought madly.

But as a concept, I think I'm on the same page as Erykah. And that's not my raging girl crush speaking. Maslow has his hierarchy, well I guess this is the Erykahrchy... Fear and Love. Each have their place and all other things are spawned from them. The yin and yang of the motivations in life. So much of how I've carried myself through this life has been motivated straight up out of fear. Fear of rejection, fear of failure, fear of abandonment, fear of loneliness. But the flip of that same coin can and should be love. LOVE of potential, LOVE of adventure, LOVE of abandon, LOVE of self enough to never be lonely again. The last year gave me that love of myself. I will never be lonely. Alone, maybe, but never ever lonely. Loneliness is a waste of time and energy and the succubus of the spirit.

I love being inspired by strong women.

3 comments:

  1. Erykah is amazing. Interesting post. It's nice to read your take on what a powerful female artist has to say.

    www.snafuliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I *love* this topic:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks you guys! I just noticed your comments. Erykah is amazing, Snaf. I've had a lot of interesting concepts awaken when listening to this new album.

    Blue, this topic pretty much wraps itself into my brain tangles most of my waking life.

    ReplyDelete